Hinduism is the world’s third largest religion chosen by people across the globe. The religion ranks third after Christianity and Islam. It is also the oldest of all the religions, which came into existence back in the 10,000 BC. Even the Hindi Literature originated in the 7000 BC. Know more of such facts about the religion here.
1. Hinduism doesn’t regard the pursuit of wealth as a deadly sin.
Unlike people of other religions, Hindus celebrate wealth in the form of many deities such as Kubera, Lakshmi, and Vishnu. Hinduism has a 4 level hierarchy which is :
- Dharma (pursuit of philosophy, religion and doing duties to society)
- Artha (pursuit of livelihood, wealth and power)
- Kama (pursuit of pleasures including sexual/sensual)
- Moksha (liberation) and we progress from the top to bottom.
2. 108 is the holiest number for Hindus.
This is the ratio of distance of Sun from Earth to that of the diameter of the Sun (or the distance of Moon from the Earth. This is the reason most of the Hindu prayer beads have 108 beads.
3. It is the only religion that is pro-science since the early ages.
The advances in Hinduism texts are mind boggling. Some of the examples are:
- Mathematics: Concept of Infinity, Concept of zero (as a number and as a marker), and concept of the Decimal Number System (with a carry-forward), Search Engine Hashing Algorithms – Kathapayadi System Musicology, Pythagoras Theorem.
- Evolution: Contrary to most religious beliefs of God creating life, Vedic Vishnu Purana deciphered evolution thousands of years ago in the form of Dashavataram. It starts with Matsya (Fish) and next came the Tortoise (Kurma) – the amphibian. The next avatar is the Boar (Varaha) – symbolising the first Mammal. The next is Narasimha (Man-lion) – the being in between the humanoid and the mammal. Next comes Vamana (dwarf) – the primal short man, and then Parashurama (man with an axe) – representing the first hunter-gatherers creating the first tools. Before Darwin.
Check Out more of these on the NEXT page