With the festival of colors around the corner, get ready to welcome everyone with these mouthwatering innovative DIY recipes .After all, what better way to celebrate the festival which marks everyone in the same color of togetherness. Here are some mouthwatering DIY recipes, holi delicacies with a twist. Go ahead and gather the accolades.
A traditional sweet “holi special delicacy, gujiyas are probably synonymous with Holi. Traditionally it is made with all-purpose flour, with a stuffing of” mava” or thickened milk and dry fruits. This DIY recipe also has yummy variations of the original
- Ghee or oil
For the pastry:
- 500 gms maida or all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp. ghee
For the stuffing:
- ½ kg mava or khoya
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- ¼ cup cashewnuts
- ¼ cup pistachios
- ¼ tsp green elaichi powder
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- Strands of saffron
- Knead the maida and ghee to make a firm dough. It should be soft yet firm. Cover it with a damp cloth and keep aside.
- On a low flame, in a non-stick frying pan, roast the mava till light brown in colour. Let it cool.
- Once cool, add the coconut,dry fruits,sugar, cardamom powder and saffron. Cook on low flame for another two minutes and again cool.
- Make small balls of the dough and roll them out into puris about 4” diameter
- Put a spoonful of stuffing in each puri and fold them into a semi-circle
- Seal the ends with a paste made with a spoon of maida and water. Make sure the filling does not ooze out.
- Fry the gujiyas in a kadhai on a medium flame .Drain and keep on blotting kitchen towel once golden brown in color
This holi special Thandai shrikhand is a refreshing treat after a colorful day.
For the thandai paste:
- 6-8 cashewnuts, soaked overnight
- 6-8 almonds, soaked overnight
- 10 pistachios soaked overnight
- 3 tbsp khus khus ( poppy seeds)
- 3 tbsp saunf
- A pinch of jaiphal powder
- A few strands of saffron
- 1 tsp white pepper powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 cups hung curd
- 5 tbsp sugar
Combine all the ingredients to make a paste using the warm milk. It should be smooth and homogeneous. Mix the hung curd with sugar and thandai paste. Mix uniformly and serve chilled
DIY instant dahi vada
Dahi vada can be a little time consuming but surely a treat for your taste buds .
- 10-12 Bread slices , cut into circles
- 1 ½ cup dahi
- 6 tbsp powdered sugar
- ½ water
- 3 tbsp Green chutney
- 5 tbsp sweet tamarind chutney or saunth
- 1” Ginger approx.
- 8-10 cashewnuts, soaked
- 8-10 almonds, soaked
- 8-10 Raisins,soaked
- 1 tbsp Jeera powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- Black salt to taste
- Salt to taste
Whisk together the curd with water and sugar. Add salt to taste.Finely chop the ginger, almonds, cashewnuts,and raisins and mix together. Now dip one bread roundel in the curd and set on a serving bowl. Now put approx. 1 tsp of stuffing in the middle of the bread and cover with another similarly dipped bread slice. Press with a light hand. Drizzle little more curd over it. Put the green chutney, tamarind chutney, jeera powder, chilli powder and black salt as per your taste. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve immediately.